In this Article we will share you What is an OS? And Usage of Operating System? What are the types of operating systems? What are the functionalities of an operating system? And many more
An operating system is a program that acts as an interface between the user and computer, the Operating System is software that communicates with the Hardware and allows other programs to run. It is comprised of system software.
Usage of Operating System:
The usages of operating systems are the Percentage of the operating system used in computing device.
An Operating System (OS) is after being initially loaded into the computer by a Boot program manages all the other programs in a computer. Operating System is an Interface between a Computer User and Hardware. An Operating System is a Software Which Performs all the Basic tasks like file management, process management, memory management handling input and output.
The Operating System user can interact directly Through a Interface Such as a command line or Graphical user interface (GUI). The Operating by making requests for services through a decide application program interface (API).
Following important functions of an operating System
- Memory Management
- Processor Management
- Device Management
- File Management
This refers to management of primary memory or Main Memory. The Main memory is a large array of bytes where each byte has its own address.
The primary memory provides a fast storage can be directly by the Central processing unit. The program to be executed it must in the primary memory.
The multiprogramming environment operating system decides which process gets the processor. This function is called scheduling. An operating system does the following activities for processor management.
- Allocates the processor central processing unit to a process.
- Using as many processor cycles as possible for real work.
Hardware devices typically provide the ability to input data into the computer or output data from the computer.
- Application programs use the System Call application programming interfaces to request one of a finite set of preset I/O requests from the Operating System.
- The Operating System uses another application programming interfaces to request data from the device driver.
A file management system is a type of software that manages data files in a computer operating system. It may display report details, like owner, creation date, state of completion and similar formation useful in an office environment.
- Meet the data management needs of the user.
- Minimize the potential for lost or destroyed data.
- Optimize performance.
Security: Operating system security is the process of ensuring Operating System integrity, confidentiality and availability.
List of Operating Systems:
The following are list of operating systems that are known Fedora, Linux, UNIX, Mac OS and Windows.
- Fedora: Developed by the community-supported Fedora Project and released on 6 November 2003
- Linux : Developed by Linus Torvalds first released on September 17, 1991
- Unix :Development started in 1969 Unix produced by Bell Labs and released on October 1973
- Windows 10 is an operating system produced by Microsoft. And released on 29 July 2015 & last update on April 2017.
- Mac OS: The family of Macintosh operating systems developed by Apple Inc. That was introduced in 1984 Mac OS and the first desktop version of the system was released on March 24, 2001.
Since 2011, new releases have been offered on an annual basis, the latest version is Mac OS Sierra – version 10.12, released in 2016.
We have mentioned most using Operating Systems and Usage of Operating System, latest versions of OS and who developed it and many more details.
What is your favourite trouble free Operating System? What are the Draw Backs & Advantages of your current OS? Please post your opinion in below comment section.
Hope this article clears about your doubts; if you like this article please feel free to share it and if you felt that we missed something. Please post your comment in below comment section